Oral Cancer Screening in Wayzata, MN
According to the World Health Organization, over 650,000 people every year are diagnosed with oral cancer. The prevalence of oral cancer is alarmingly high, and it is vital to understand the critical role that oral cancer screenings play in diagnosing and treating this type of cancer. Martinson Family and Cosmetic Dentistry offers oral cancer screenings in Wayzata, Minnesota. Often, oral cancer goes unnoticed, leaving little chance of catching the disease early. With oral cancer screenings, Dr. Bruce Martinson can help ensure the health of your smile, and if there are signs of oral cancer, we can start treatment immediately.
Martinson Dental is
Here for You
What are Oral Cancer Screenings?
Oral cancer screenings involve a visual and physical examination of the mouth to check for any abnormalities or signs of cancer. Dr. Bruce Martinson will carry out the screening, and he will check the lips, tongue, gums, roof, and floor of the mouth, as well as the throat, for symptoms such as:
- Sores that refuse to heal
- Red or white patches
- Other possible signs of cancer
Why are Oral Cancer Screenings Important?
Oral cancer screenings are essential for early detection of oral cancer, as they help detect the signs of cancer before it spreads to other parts of the body, leading to better chances for successful treatment. Early detection saves lives. It is essential to catch oral cancer at an early stage as it can spread aggressively. With early detection, treatment can begin promptly, leading to a higher chance of survival and less invasive treatment options.
Benefits of Oral Cancer Screenings
The benefits of oral cancer screening cannot be overstated. Advantages of oral cancer screenings include:
- Successful Treatment: With preventative measures that Dr. Bruce Martinson can implement, we can lower the risk of developing cancer in the first place.
- Early Detection: Early detection can save lives and help preserve speech, eating abilities, and face disfigurement.
- Pain Reduction: Less pain, discomfort, and medical bills will occur with early detection and prevention, leading to a better quality of life.
Facts About Oral Cancer
- Early Diagnosis: Oral cancer is highly treatable if diagnosed early, with 5-year survival rates reaching 84% for localized cases. Regular dental check-ups can play a crucial role in early detection.
- Smoking-Related Risks: Smoking significantly increases the risk of developing oral cancer, contributing to approximately 80% of oral cancer cases.
- Non-Smoking Cases: Even non-smokers are not immune to oral cancer, with causes including HPV infection, alcohol consumption, and genetics.
- Lack of Symptoms: In its early stages, oral cancer can be asymptomatic, making regular screenings vital.
- Increased Risks: Unfortunately, all cancers have an increased risk. Many increased risk factors of oral cancer include age (older than 40), gender (men are twice as likely as women to develop the disease), and exposure to certain chemicals or sunlight.
- Mortality Rates: Oral cancer can be lethal. It kills approximately one person per hour in the U.S., often due to late diagnosis. Early detection and treatment are key to improving survival rates.
The screening process is entirely painless; patients can expect it to take a few minutes. Oral cancer screenings will typically occur in a routine dental check-up.
Oral Cancer Screenings in Wayzata, MN
Oral cancer screenings are essential for diagnosing and treating oral cancer at an early stage. Early detection can save lives, among other advantages of oral cancer screenings. The process is quick and painless, allowing our dentist to help even those with dental anxiety. Dr. Bruce Martinson and his team strongly encourage everyone to get an oral cancer screening every year, especially those with high-risk factors such as tobacco users, age, and those exposed to HPV.
Take control of your oral health today and schedule a routine oral cancer screening with Dr. Bruce Martinson!